Friday, March 3, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Irish Song o' the Day

Flogging Molly, "Black Friday Rule" from Swagger (The Last Angry Irishman)

Commentary: I was born in the last third of the twentieth century, in these United States of America, as a descendant of Irish emigrants; so, for both personal as well as historical reasons, I think of "the Irish" not just in terms of the population of Ireland but of the worldwide Irish diaspora. Emigration from Éire was not limited to the years of the Potato Famine & its proximal aftermath, but continues to the present day, as in the case of Flogging Molly front man Dave King.
"I want to believe in myself once again,
So I dream of a man whose hopes never end,
To kiss with a girl who's as lovely as you,
I'd give you my heart if you gave me the truth…

"Well, I love me a wife so I found me a plane,
Flew all the way to California,
This mess in my head is a mess getting out,
Ya drink too much coffee, I drink too much stout.

"But after a while, when my mouth ain't so dry,
I'll dance up a storm, sure life's looking fine,
But as darkness falls I return to my bed,
Don't ask me more questions, don't fuck with my head.

"'Cause I've been down in this world, down and almost broken,
Like thousands of people left standing in their shoe,
Down in this world, down and almost broken,
As thousand they grieve as the Black Friday rule,
As thousand they grieve as the Black Friday rule…

"The buildings they shake, but my heart it, it beats still,
O Mother of Jesus, I feel pretty ill!
I want to go home where my feet both feel safe,
But there ain't no jobs in the old Free State!

"So I must remain in my new adopted land,
I'm doing the best, hell, I'm doing all I can…"

No comments: